Posted on

the unique cabin #3

This is another installment in my series of blog posts about how our cabin has items that make it unique amongst all cabins, and possibly all homes, around the world.  For todays post I looked at one of the largest items that inhabits our home, and one that other homes in the country setting may in fact also have and that is a five foot tall metal rooster.

   
So while rooster art may be common, few I imagine would keep it in the living room.  Right?   Okay so others may have a rooster, but how many also have a metal rabbit playing on a laptop?

 
In the unlikely chance that  another cabin has the rooster and rabbit combo (doubtful), let me throw in the item that will put our home over the top.  How many others also have …..wait for it…. a three foot tall  penguin wearing a party hat and bow tie.


 (Drop the mic and walk off stage)

Posted on

The past few days

The past few days have seen a lot going on for us.  The biggest change has been the temperature, I know it is still fall but this morning it felt like winter had arrived.  The thermometer read 30 degrees this morning. 

   
The overnight lows have meant that we have fired up the wood stove every evening.  We have not had our heat pump going as of yet so we can keep our electric bill down.  We get our electricity from an electric co-op which has turned out to be very expensive, and since we have to use it to even flush the toilets we want to use as little as possible. 

The changing season has also brought down quit a few of the leaves.  I am so thankful that part of the contract to buy our property was that the owner had to include his lawn tractor and leaf-vac.

 
And finally our little homestead got a couple new additions this week, in the form of two female long hair bunnies.

  

Posted on

River’s Anniversary 

When we moved to our new place, we were surprised by how few squirrels we saw.  Instead of squirrels what we had was a plethora of moles and voles.  Parts of the yard were so torn up by their holes and tunnels that you might want to carry a ankle brace everywhere just in case. The solution: adopt a barn cat.

  
We had heard that you could adopt outdoor cats known as barn cats for free at many SPCA locations, so that’s just what we did one year ago.  We went into the SPCA and told them what we were looking for, they in turn wanted us to go meet and handle every cat in the place.  We told them, and even put on the adoption form, that  we were looking for a cat that was a rodent catching machine.  Eventually we decided to take a cat that they were having trouble getting adopted and had been there almost a year. Her name was River and we took her home in a cat carrier we had found in the shed, which had been left by the previous owner.  

In the days leading up to the adoption, I had built a very nice insulated cathouse, using pallet wood and some small trees from the yard. 

  
We put some chicken wire around the house to keep River in for a week, to supposedly make her realize it was her new home. 

 
It did not work. We even tried moving it onto the front porch so she would be close to us, but this too failed.  Eventually I scraped most of the house and just kept the legs and roof as a cover for the duck food.

  
When we adopted River they said part of the reason she had not been taken yet was that she was antisocial.  This could not be farther from the truth.  Anytime you move around outside she will be by your side asking to be petted. You bend down to pull a weed or tie your show and she is there belly up asking for some petting.  

A year later, even though she spends most of her day sleeping on the porch swing,  our yard is “mostly” free of small rodents.  

 
We never thought we would be cat owners and never thought we would consider an outdoor cat a pet but a year on we wouldn’t have it any other way.

  

Posted on

Day off work

One of the things I have learned about living in the country is that days off from work are often days to work.  That’s what yesterday’s day off was for me.  

I started the day fixing a problem we have had with the duck house since we built it, but was exasperated by the week of rain we had.  The front of our duck house, while covered with hardware clothe, is wide open.  When we were building it we had left it that way to provide plenty of ventilation, but when the wind blows during a rain storm the straw inside gets very wet. So yesterday I added a awning to the front, using as much materials as I already had to keep down cost. 

This is what the duck house looked like just after we got the ducks in it.

   
And this is what it looks like after yesterday’s project.

 
The second project from yesterday was too clean up the yard. Thst meant a 3 hour voyage on the mower with the leaf-vac attached.

   
   
Now I just have to wait for the other nine trillion leafs to come down.